Aphthasol is a drug prescribed to treat apthous ulcers or canker sores. The drug comes in the form of a paste.
Wash your hands before and after applying Aphthasol paste. Make sure that you do not get any of it in your eyes. The medication is used until the canker sores have healed. However, there is a maximum length of treatment duration. After ten days and your sores have not yet healed, talk to your doctor.
During your consultation, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of the components of Aphthasol. If you have already used the paste and experience an allergic reaction, immediately call your doctor.
As with oral tablets and other topical medication, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Skip the missed dose if it is nearly time for your next schedule dose.
During your treatment with Aphthasol, you may experience some side effects. These side effects include diarrhea, inflammation of the mucous membranes, nausea and the burning or stinging pain in the affected area. If symptoms worsen or persist, talk to your doctor.
Store Aphtasol in a room away from heat or direct light and moisture. Make sure that children will not be able to find it wherever it is you choose to store the drug. Expired medication must immediately be discarded.
If you think you have overdose on Aphthasol or if a child has ingested the medication, call the nearest poison control center at once.
Though a topical drug, Aphthasol is only available when prescribed by a doctor. So, you should also not recommend the product to anyone you know who has not yet been seen a doctor for their own canker sores.