Sumycin is a medicine used to treat or prevent infections caused by a susceptible bacteria, whether this has been proven or merely strongly suspected.
Sumycin is to be taken daily in 1g to 2g doses. Your doctor will decide if your dosage can be increased if you are suffering from a serious infection. Keep using Sumycin for at least 24 to 48 hours after your symptoms disappear and your fever has subsided.
During consultation with your doctor, mention if you are hypersensitive to tetracyclines. Do not take Sumycin if your bacterial infection is not proven or at least strongly suspected because the medicine will not provide any benefits if you do not have a bacterial infection. Taking the drug will just make the bacteria resistant to the drug.
You cannot skip doses during your Sumycin therapy. You also have to go through the whole course. If not, you will reduce the effectiveness of your treatment. The bacteria may also develop a resistance to Sumycin or other antibacterial drugs when you take them in the future. So, make sure you have a way of remembering your dose schedule.
While being treated with Sumycin, you may experience side effects such as anorexia, bulky loose stools, black hairy tongue, dysphagia, diarrhea, epigastric distress, enterocolitis, glossitis, hoarseness, nausea, vomiting, stomatitis, sore throat and inflammatory lesions and candidal overgrowth in the anogenital region.
Store Sumycin in a light-resistant container at room temperature and away from heat and moisture. Keep away from the reach of children.
As soon as you suspect an overdose, in the case of yourself or someone else, immediately call for emergency medical attention.
If your Sumycin therapy should be long-term or extended, there should be a regular evaluation of your organs or bodily systems, including your kidneys, liver and blood.